I am putting together a series of webinars and online training courses in Master Data Management (MDM) and I would value your input.
The first series will be centered around the major of Product. This will include looking at and defining the major Product Categories, which are:
MDM Internal Product
This product is characterised by a Bill of Materials (BoM) Structure.
The sub-products, or component products, within a Product may be either manufactured within the enterprise or bought in.
MDM External Product
This can be thought of as a wholesale or distribution product. It is essentially what a manufacturer or a distributor sells and delivers to wholesale and retail outlets.
The outlet might not be the customer of the entity delivering the wholesale product.
This is the product sold and delivered to the end consumer.
Retail products can be physical products, service products, warranty products or a combination or all of these.
This is the product marketed to the consumer. This marketing can be done by:
- The manufacturer
- Wholesaler or distributor
Marketing Products may entirely align with, or significantly differ from, Retail Products.
This is the external Product against which revenues are accrued and costs allocated.
Identifying this can, contrary to initial impressions, present many difficulties, especially for manufacturers and wholesalers. These difficulties arise for many reasons that include:
- Manufacturing overheads are hard to allocate or apportion to external products.
- Distribution costs and Marketing costs are hard to allocate to retail products.
- Distribution costs may not be incurred by the manufacturer and yet the distributor’s costs may make the product non-profitable.
This is the mapping of Internal Products to External Products, either wholesale or retail, in order to ensure that:
- The correct products are manufactured or purchased in order to meet sales demand for external products.
- Manufacturing and purchasing costs can be effectively allocated to external products
Would you prefer to see a separate MDM online course for each of the above Product Categories or a single course that covers all of the categories?
Would you like to see online courses pitched at various levels, say Introduction, Intermediate and Advanced?
Would you like courses to included assignments and marked course work with accreditation at the end?
Please enter your suggestions in the comments box below. Thank you for your valued input.